Security Certification Program Course 96 Nairobi, Kenya

Security Certification Programme (SCP) Course is one of the certified security training held by United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) HQ. The Security Certification Programme (SCP) course is a mandatory security course that is focused on the role of a Field Security Coordination Officer (FSCO). The Purpose of the training is to improve the LSA skill and knowledge on UN Security System in the absence of FSCO in the region. At the end of course LSA will be certified to implement the role of FSCO in his respective area of responsibility.
I was appointed to join this SCP Course after I got my position as Local Security Associate under Core Budget Contract from UNDSS HQ in NY. My current position is a LSA UNDSS Indonesia, Rest of Sumatera in Pekanbaru Riau.
The SCP 96 Course was held from 5 Feb to 16 Feb 2018 and took place at UN Office in Nairobi (UNON) Kenya. It has been attended by 23 participants from UNDSS various countries, Security Professional from INGO and SSS UNON (UN Office in Nairobi). I am the only one from Indonesia due to my other colleagues already completed this training before me. It was first time traveling to Nairobi Kenya. I did believe that the country was geographically similar with Darfur Sudan, where I spent one year in El Fashir North Darfur for joining the Indonesian Formed Police Unit under UN African Mission in Darfur (UNAMID). Travel to Nairobi from my duty station in Pekanbaru took almost 24 hours. On 03 Feb 2018, at 1300hrs I started departing to Nairobi from Pekanbaru Airport to Jakarta - Doha - Nairobi. I arrived in Jomo
International in Nairobi Kenya at 0900hrs local time (1300hrs Indonesia Time).
I took Garuda Indonesia Airways from Pekanbaru to Jakarta then continued by Qatar Airways from Jakarta to Doha and Nairobi. Before arriving in Jomo Airport, I have contacted my hotel and asked to book a taxi from Airport to hotel. It was the most efficient way to solve my travel plan since it was first time for me. UNON HQ has provided the list of hotel for staying in Nairobi during the course, so that I could arranged easily for all my travel plan. I stayed in a small hotel named Shanema Homes located on United Nations Avenue road, Nairobi, Kenya. It is about 1.8 km away from UNON, so I did exercise every day from hotel to UNON compound.
Nairobi is the Capital city and the largest city of Kenya with total population almost 3.5 million people. Nairobi is also well known as home to thousands of Kenyan businesses and over 100 major international companies and organizations, including United Nation Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON). Nairobi has a subtropical highland climateAt 1,795 metres (5,889 ft) above sea level, evenings may be cool, especially in the June/July season, when the temperature can drop to 9 °C (48 °F). The sunniest and warmest part of the year is from December to March, when temperatures average the mid-twenties during the day. The mean maximum temperature for this period is 24 °C (75 °F).
There are two rainy seasons, but rainfall can be moderate. The cloudiest part of the year is just after the first rainy season, when, until September, conditions are usually overcast with drizzle. As Nairobi is situated close to the equator, the differences between the seasons are minimal. The seasons are referred to as the wet season and dry season. The timing of sunrise and sunset varies little throughout the year for the same reason.
The world is small, I also met some colleagues from Indonesia who work in UNON in Nairobi. So, we could spend our time together to tell about our each experiences. I met dr. Sandra who works in Juba South Sudan and Candra who works in UNEP as UN Volunteer. Both of them were former colleagues in UNDP & UNHABITAT in Nias island, North Sumatera, Indonesia.  
I also tried to find out my former colleague from Kenyan Police who worked together with me in Sarajevo, Bosnia Herzegovina under UN International Police Task Force in 2001 - 2002. Finally, I could find him after I got assistance from a Sudanese colleague who works at NCB Interpol in Nairobi, Kenya. Yes, I finally met him Mr. Jon Benson Momanyi, former Kenyan Police Contingent Commander as my colleague in Sarajevo UN IPTF RHQ after about 16 years lost contact at all.
He took me around Nairobi Metropolitan area by his private car, so that I could understand the real situation of Nairobi City. He also took me to come to a family gathering occasion that attended by his relatives and families in a remote area outside Nairobi.
There were two other malls that I have visited, namely West-gate Shopping mall and the Two River Mall. There is a mall named Village Market nearby my hotel that provided many items for sales including some restaurants that also provided many menus from various country including Indonesia. The most favorite item is the BATA KENYA, the shop that sells shoes made in BATA with original leather from Kenya. The price is cheap if I compare with the quality of shoes. So, don't miss to buy BATA shoes from Kenya if you visit Nairobi, Kenya.

After two weeks spending the time for SCP course, finally I had to leave Nairobi Kenya on 17 Feb 2018. I was finally certified as UN Security Officer after accomplishing the SCP Course with category Fully Competence.
However, there was one occasion that I missed during in Nairobi Kenya, I missed to visit Kenyan International Park that had a lot of wild animal in the Africa.






Komentar

Unknown mengatakan…
How are You Sir..? It's really nice to read Your story..let me introduce myself, my name is martin pandiangan and I'm a veteran of FPU Indonesia V Unamid 2012-2013..can I know about You more Sir..
Mawardi mengatakan…
Nice journey i like your blog
hsoegiharto70 mengatakan…
Dear Martin,
Thanks for your comment on my blog.
hsoegiharto70 mengatakan…
Dear Mawardi,
Thanks a lot for your visit.

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Kunjungan Komisi III DPR RI ke Sudan

Pendidikan Pengembangan Spesialis Bahasa di Sebasa Polri 2010 Gel. I